Followers

Friday, January 25, 2013

Packing Secrets & Penguin Poop Protectors . . .


From our Cruise Critic Message Board

Feb 3, Feb 20th, Mar 5 
South America around the Horn Pt2

. . . Our Packing Secrets . . .

Ghjohnson
"I have two suitcases open & being packed at 2 different homes - 2 completely different Cruise Staging Areas.  My home and the Home I work in.   I have done this about 3 times now on past cruises & each time it gets a little easier.   I just hope I do not forget anything. "

Jigjager 
"Man wears 70 clothing items to avoid baggage fees"

jlhtraveler
"old underwear so I can throw as I go"


Mdeering
 "I am sure everyone has heard about cross packing. Put part your clothes and part spouses clothes in each bag. If a bag is lost, everyone still has clothes.  I do the same every though I am traveling by myself. Every bag has an equal selections of casual clothes, dress clothes, etc. So if a bag is lost, I can still enjoy the cruise.  I pack in the carry-on 3 complete outfits, shoes, etc. If both of my check bags are lost, I could still be OK."

mikewrit 
"Somebody suggested packing two big bags full then packing a carry-on with the essentials in case one or both of the big bags gets lost. So just pack the carry-on and tell fashionistas your other bags were lost."<!--[endif]-->

scrabblefan
Our guest room has become my packing "staging area." I don't know how all of this is going to fit in a 44 pound suitcase. I say 44 pounds because we are leaving The Splendor after leg 2 and and spending some time in Buenos Aires. The flights between there and Igaussu Falls and from there to Rio have 44 pound limits on bags or there is an extra charge. I can wear the same 3 outfits for 30 days or splurge and pay the extra baggage fee. DH says not to worry. In addition, we're bringing some items to our missionary friends in Santiago who will be our tour guides on Feb. 20. Living in Chile they can't get certain vitamins,pop tarts and chocolate chips... Luckily we can board the ship in Long Beach (45 minutes from home) with all of the goodies we want except more than the specified amount of wine of course. We may look like the Beverly Hillbillies boarding with all of these extras, so you won't be able to miss us. How to keep penguin poop off our shoes was one dilemma I hadn't planned on until tonight. We'll all need a vacation from all of the logistics we're tackling right now. DH has the right idea. He will pack a few days before we leave. Now what am I forgetting? I need a vacation!

Cruisingshabob 
"Why did I pack 2 weeks ago? I had a dream... (Really) that I was in a car with 3 lady friends - just in my nightgown, and sleeping in the car. When I woke up (still dreaming) we were in New Jersey (I live in Michigan) and I had no clothes with me, not even a toothbrush! I was so upset! When I woke up for real, I started packing. And on another note - good thing we got started trying on and sorting clothes, because we discarded several things that I had planned on bringing. We had to go buy new slacks for hubby and a couple of new tops for me. But we are now packed! Excited about the trip and ready to go!"



Everything you ever wanted to know about
~ Penguin Poop Protectors ~

CRUISINGGRANMA 
"Was looking at the Princess Roll call and some people are bringing on penguin poop protectors for over their shoes, boots. Someone is bringing them on board and selling for $1 each. Maybe something to think about?"

ghjohnson
"This I gotta see ~ What the heck is a penguin poop protector?"

cotatica
"What a great way to pay for your cruise, selling penguin pooper protectors. Is this like a snake oil salesman?"

CRUISINGGRANMA
"I think they are like the paper-like throw away booties they wear in the OR"

browneyes7
"You could probably just tie two Walmart bags around your shoes, and they would work just as well"

lousk 
"I'll go barefoot.i heard penguin poop is good for prevention of toe rot, athletes foot, bunions, & spurs"

Mulege
"If you will be walking on a rocky beach area they won't last but a few minutes. They are not sturdy at all. But maybe worth a try"

Joyce From Yardley
"I have been collecting those shower caps that the hotels give out for free (at least at the Holiday Inn's we stay at.)  In the past I've used them for bowl covers now I guess they have another use. Penguin poop protectors. So if you don't have any maybe you can ask the hotel you are staying at for this trip for some extras & you too can keep your shoes free of poop."



* Please add your Packing Secrets
or 
anything else cruise related below

We would love to hear from ~ YOU!





2 comments:

  1. I always take a tupperware type container cake pan size with me. I pack things that might leak on the plane and ont the trip to the ship and then on the way back I pack delicate souveniers that I dont want wrecked or crushed in the suitcase. On our south america cruise there are a lot of nut carvings and beautiful gourd carvings. Some of the carvings have wings that move. Farther down south you see beautiful delicate wood carvings. The plastic container keeps them from being wrecked in the luggage. I will pack socks around the stuff if I have extra space.

    debkjw

    ReplyDelete
  2. Penguin poop covers?? What about old socks and throw them away, if this is even true.

    ReplyDelete